Created: Saturday, 11 March 2017 10:22
Ayurveda Eating Guidelines
- Do not drink iced or cold water during meals; only have small amounts of room-temperature water with a meal.
- Only fill 3/4 of your stomach; one half with food, one quarter with liquid, and leave one quarter empty. This allows space for movement of the enzymes which aids in digestion.
- Generally, it is easier to digest cooked, warm, soupy meals than cold, dry and solid foods. Warmth stimulates the digestive tract.
- It is best to wait to eat when the previous meal has been well digested so wait at least 3 hours.
- Try to eat at fixed times. Try not to eat between meals, except fruits and juices.
- Add ginger or black pepper to meals, or sip ginger water after meals to aid digestion.
- Avoid processed foods and foods cooked in a microwave. They are depleted of nutrition and produce toxins in the body.
- Excessive caffeine can create toxins; try to stick with herbal teas.
- Use spices which promote health, such as cumin, coriander, fennel, saffron, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, mustard seeds, nutmeg, all fresh herbs, onions, ginger, and garlic.